Thursday 3 March 2011

REVIEW: 'Yatagan' by Caron



Celery is my bete noir.  Along with cucumber.  I'm not a fussy eater and I'll give anything a chance, but celery and cucumber are those foodstuffs about which people ask incredulously: "But why can't you eat them - they're 95 per cent water?!"  Yeah, and five per cent pure evil.  I'll grudgingly stir a Bloody Mary with a celery stick but our relationship ends there.  Or at least it did until I discovered Caron's Yatagan.

When it comes to scents, the more interesting or challenging the better as far as I'm concerned.  I love the dirty nappy and lavender accord in Jicky and the ageing French libertine with poor personal hygiene that is Kouros.  And I thoroughly enjoy the rasping,  threatening, celery-spiked evil of Yatagan.

Caron's 1976 classic manages to be sharp and high-pitched yet blocky and butch at the same time, like the Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang combined with Popeye's arch-enemy Bluto.  It's another of those fragrances that could never be launched into today's market - and we're richer for its continued existence.

          [By ANDREW]

No comments:

Post a Comment